Thursday, October 8, 2015

Postcard feature: LOVE

Some people sent our postcards back with long notes...and some don't.  This postcard, left in the library in Helena Montana on the same trip as the previous one ("Salt and Pepper"), was returned with just one word--LOVE.

I loved it.  It was written in a tightly doodled hand ("hand" is what we calligraphers call fonts; to me, a font is something mechanically produced).  The doodling that defined the letterforms was more than just scribbling--I was pretty sure I could see letterforms in the tangled lines.  "Girls" appears quite clearly, for example, in the top extension of the E.  But while the rest of it had the appearance of deliberate, meaningful movement, I couldn't discern any other words.

The postcard itself was inspired by a pattern in the carpet of the hotel.





No comments:

Post a Comment