Friday, September 18, 2015

Postcard Feature: Salt and Pepper

One place we visited often for a while was Helena, Montana, where The Dad once had employees he needed to visit.  While he worked, Anna and the little boys and I would ride the carousel, swim in the hotel pool, hike, windowshop in Last Chance Gulch (and visit the toy store there!), and eat local food. Helena is where I had a Cajun crawfish taco so spicy I broke out in a hot sweat.  It's also where Jesse (one of the twins, then just 4) fell in love with the general manager of the Days Inn, whose walk he could recognize without looking.  He called her the Mom in the Black Shoes.

We often take inspiration from whatever happens to be around--like the salt and pepper shakers on a restaurant table.



This postcard, drawn by Anna, was discovered by a schoolteacher.  And to be honest, until I asked her for a postcard to feature, I didn't even know it had been returned! But what a wonderful story it came back with.


It says, Wow.  What a surprise it was to find this postcard tucked inside the book Horton's Miraculous Mechanisms by Lissa Evans.  I am an elementary teacher in Helena, MT and was looking for a good read aloud for my 1-3rd graders.  I'm not sure about this book yet, but it's pretty good. This book and postcard have traveled to Spokane, WA and Glacier National Park and some remote Montana places!  I hope you get a lot of postcards back!  Annie Tague

Anna keeps her returned postcards in this little gold evening bag.  



No comments:

Post a Comment