Saturday, March 3, 2018

Postcard: Bear, and a mystery half-solved! Maybe...

This beauty came back to us today after nearly two years!



It was placed in Portland in 2016.  When it arrived in the mail, it looked familiar--but I knew none of us had drawn it.  I remember a discussion about the bear, and I'm pretty sure other people had drawn bears in that same creative session--I vaguely remember someone not liking their bear.  It may even have been me.  But for the life of me I couldn't figure out whose art this was.  Even the signature didn't help.

And then it hit me!  We had a couple of LDS missionaries to dinner (as we often do), and invited them to draw postcards for an upcoming trip.  One of those young men turned out to be really artistic, and I'm pretty sure this is his work.  Just a quick little drawing, but so fun!  I wish my memory wasn't so spotty so I could give him a shoutout by name, but it's been a long time and I forget things easily.

Of course, it's possible that I'm mixing up two people, or that I'm otherwise mis-remembering.  The flower in particular gives me pause...such an unexpected detail for a young man to add...but I love how the bear seems to be gazing down at it.  (Especially since the artist managed to give that impression with two tiny dot-eyes.)

The finder writes:

Hi,
I found this postcard in the downtown Portland library, probably less than 6 months after you left it.  I just re-found it when I cleaned up some papers form a vacation--oops!  It was a fun thing to find and re-find, and I hope you enjoy getting it back!
Tracy Thomas
Portland OR

Thanks, Tracy, for playing along! 

No comments:

Post a Comment